Date & Location
October 9 - 10, 2021
Starting line: DelTech Terry Campus
100 Campus Drive
Dover, DE 19904
Routes of 20, 50, and 75
Fundraising Minimum: $300
Age Minimum: 12
Start time TBD
Thank you so much for a great weekend! Visit the Photos & Post Ride Reminders section off this page for ride weekend photos, t-shirt and/or jersey requests, plus more on what’s next!
Reminder! You have until November 8th to continue fundraising, earn that 2021 commemorative Bike to the Bay Top Fundraiser jersey and earn other great Bike MS swag. Plus, set your sites on being a member of the exclusive 2022 Top 250 Club (deadline to qualify is December 8th).
- Visit the Clubs & Incentives page for more details.
- Visit our Leaderboard page for real-time listings of who is in the running
RIDE WEEKEND SCHEDULE
Friday, October 8th at 12:00 pm ET: Online Registration Closes
- Make sure you’re registered before we shut down online portal
Saturday, October 9th: Bike to the Bay 2021 Day 1 (Ride South to Rehoboth)
- Before you ride!
Watch the new Bike MS Kick-Off Video through the *new* Bike MS App.
- 75 Mile Riders
- Del Tech check-in starts at 6:00 am - pick up your rider packet, grab a bite to eat, & get ready to ride!
- Ride kicks off at 7:00 am with official welcome and announcements
- Riders will start to depart at 7:15 am and all participants must by on the route by 8:00 am
- 50 Mile Riders
- Check in at Lake Forest Central Elementary School in Felton, DE starts at 10:30 am
- Riders will start to depart after check in and all participants must be on the route by 11:00 am
- 20 Mile Riders
- Check in at Sussex Consortium in Lewes, DE starts at 12:30 pm
- Riders will start to depart after check in and all participants must be on the route by 1:00 pm
- Grab lunch on the route at the Lulu Ross Elementary School rest stop in Milford. Enjoy sandwiches from Capriotti’s Sandwich Shop.
- Route Closes at 5:00 pm. We will make every effort to work with you to complete the ride
- Finish Line Festivities start at noon and run through 6:00 pm. Enjoy a beer or two in the Left Hand Brewing Co. Beer Garden, engage with your team and other riders in our Team Village, pick up your ride t-shirt, and celebrate the end of a great day! We’ll also have an array of dinner options like pulled pork sandwiches & veggies burgers available from our caterer, Javelin Catering.
Sunday, October 10th: Bike to the Bay 2021 Day 2 (Ride North to Dover)
- Enjoy a continental breakfast at the starting line in Delaware Seashore State Park from 6:00 am – 7:30 am. If you wish to depart from your hotel instead, you can grab breakfast at the first rest stop on the route.
- The route opens at 7:00 am. Grab your bike & get ready to ride!
- Riders must be on the route by 8:00 am, no exceptions. Cyclist arriving late will be bused to the first rest stop.
- Grab lunch on the route at the Lulu Ross Elementary School rest stop in Milford. Enjoy sandwiches from Capriotti’s Sandwich Shop.
- Route Closes at 5:00 pm. We will make every effort to work with you to complete the ride.
- Del Tech Finish Line will have snacks, food & beverages available to all cyclists, including a catered meal from Javelin Catering. The finish line will close down at 6:00 pm.
For more information about ride day please review the following:
Routes & Maps
Click below to get access to our 20 mile, 50 mile, 75 mile (Day 1 and Day 2) and 100 mile route maps hosted on Ride with GPS. Maps include rest stop locations for each route.
- 20 Mile Route
- 50 Mile Route
- 75 Mile Route Day 1
- 75 Mile Route Day 2
- UPDATE – AS OF MONDAY, OCTOBER 4: due to lower registration numbers this year, we have made the decision to only offer the 20, 50 and 75 mile routes Bike to the Bay weekend. The century loop will not be offered this year.
Route Updates for 2021:
This year’s route will utilize both the Georgetown-Lewes Trail and the newly paved Junction Breakwater Trail, both of which takes you off Route 1 and offers more of a scenic, shaded, and ultimately safer ride. This new state trail system will take you through roughly 15 miles of wooded, sheltered trails on a flat, low stress route.
New Rest Stop Locations:
- Wolfe House in Lewes will serve as the rest stop along the bike trail
- Sussex Consortium School in Milton will provide a nice stop along the route
The Sussex Consortium will serve as the rest stop and the 20-mile start location.
2021 Route Map & Cue Sheets Coming Soon
One-day (Saturday-only) Route options
> 20 mile Route (new location)
Sussex Consortium, 17344 Sweetbriar Road, Lewes, DE 19958. Route includes fully stocked rest stop.
- Rider Number Pick Up begins at 12:30 pm
- Ride will kick off at 1:00 pm
- All cyclists must be on the road by 1:00 pm
> 50 mile Route
Lake Forest Central Elementary School, 5424 Killens Pond Road Felton, DE 19943. Route includes four rest stops, including lunch.
- Rider Number Pick Up begins at 10:30 am
- Ride will kick off at 11:00 am SHARP.
- All cyclists must be on the road by 11:00 am
> 75 mile Route – The start for this route is at DelTech Terry Campus - 100 Campus Drive, Dover, DE 19904.
Participants traveling southbound on Route 1 (from Wilmington/Newark area) are advised to take exit 114 - South Smyrna and continue traveling south on Rt. 13 in the right lane.
- Rider Number Pick Up: 6:00 am
- Teams: Get your team photo taken at the Team Photos area.
- Ride Kick Off: 7:00 a.m
- Official Start: 7:15 – 8:00 am
- All cyclists will be released in waves.
All cyclists must be on the road by 8:00 am Cyclists arriving late will be bused to the first rest stop after checking in. No exceptions.
75-mile route includes six rest stops, including lunch.
Top Fundraiser Parking is available to all cyclists who have raised $1,000. Stay to the right when arriving at DelTech and show your Top Fundraiser pass to parking volunteers.
Two-day (Saturday & Sunday) Route Options
> Traditional (75 mile) each day with six rest stops, including lunch.
Day 2 start for both options is located at the Delaware Seashore State Park Campground.
- Route opens at 7:00 am
- A continental style breakfast will be available from 6:00 a.m-7:30 am If you wish to depart from your hotel Sunday morning, these items will also be available at the first rest stop.
- All cyclists must be on the road by 8 am Cyclists arriving late will be bused to the first rest stop, no exceptions.
Closing Times for Saturday & Sunday
> Route Closes at 5:00 pm
The route will close at 5:00 pm each day. We will make every effort to work with you to complete the ride. All cyclists on the road after 5:00 pm must take the bus in to the finish line.
Saturday Finish Line: Delaware Seashore State Park
Delaware Seashore Campground (Rehoboth Beach)
39415 Inlet Road, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971
Finish Line Party: After crossing the finish line to the cheers of spectators, you and your loved ones are invited to join our celebration featuring a live band and the renowned Team Village festivities. Plus collect your commemorative T-shirt and pin, receive a massage and much more!
Finish Line Food & Refreshments: A variety of food and drinks will be available to CYCLISTS throughout the day including pulled pork sandwiches & veggie burgers.
What better way to cap off your ride than pulling into the finish line and enjoying an ice cold beer? Our Bike to the Bay beer garden is back, sponsored this year by Left Hand Brewing Company. Top fundraisers will receive 1 free beer ticket, on us! Please note there is a 3 beer limit per person.
Team Village: Located at the hub of the finish line, the Team Village is an opportunity for team members to gather, share stories from the day, and celebrate successes. Ask your team captain if they reserved a space this year. To reserve a space in the team village, please contact Sarah DeLucas at email@example.com. Team Village reservations are due by September 27th. Keep a lookout on the Event Updates page for more information coming soon.
Team Captains are responsible for the activities in and around their respective team sites. Delaware Seashore State Park allows alcohol on premises during the Bike to the Bay event. All Delaware state laws regarding sale, distribution and consumption of alcohol are to be strictly adhered to during this event. This includes, but not limited to the sale of any alcoholic beverage, distribution of alcohol in return for a cash donation or consumption by minors. Delaware Seashore State Park Officers will be on the premises and will take any enforcement action they deem necessary
Bike Parking: Temporary bike parking is available throughout the day, thanks to presenting sponsor Discover Bank. Secure overnight bike parking is available at the finish line at 6 pm Saturday for those taking the hotel shuttle. All bikes must be removed by 8 am Sunday morning. Bikes left after this time will be transported to the DelTech finish line for pick up. All will be handled and stored with care.
Spectator Parking: Parking will be available in two lots: South Inlet (SIDA)Lot - at the finish line, North Inlet Lot and Towers Ocean Lot. Follow Bike MS signs and volunteer directions for available parking. Shuttles will run frequently to and from the finish line and alternate parking lots. We appreciate your patience. Please thank our volunteers who are driving you!
Accessible parking is available on the Campground side, near the festival area.
Transportation Back to Start: Return transportation to start locations is provided for cyclists, luggage and bicycles on Saturday at 2:00 pm and 6:00 pm. Transportation will be provided to the DelTech Campus start ONLY on Sunday at 8:00am sharp. Please sign up for the Sunday shuttle on Saturday at the General Information & Housing tent. Please note that no shuttles will be provided to the 20-mile or 50-mile start locations on Sunday.
Hotel Shuttles: Shuttle service is provided free of charge for cyclists on Saturday until 7 pm and Sunday from 6-8 am Shuttle travel to and from the finish line to all hotels listed in the Lodging & Transportation section of the website.
Complete challenges and mileage goals as you train and take on the open road.
Your training rides bring you out into your community and past some scenic destinations and we want to see them too!
Snap a selfie at a designated landmark and share it with your fellow MS cyclists using our submission form. Complete all 4 challenges by your event day and get a Bike MS-branded tire tool and be entered into a grand prize drawing for one of two Garmin Edge 130s. Flats happen—now you’ll be prepared!
Complete the weekly mileage goals—or ride even more!—to rack up badges along the way.
Leading up to the ride, we hosted two Fundraising Week challenges! Winners for each fundraising week included both an individual AND teams with the most money raised during the week of the challenge.
The individual that received the most donations for the week won a Bike MS Prize Pack, which included exclusive Bike MS swag and a gift card from our partners at Fathead.
The teams that collected the most donations for the week won a team tent experience at the finish line of the ride (Delaware Seashore State Park). The team tent experience includes complimentary tent, upgraded snacks, and a cooler full of exclusive beverages.
Our 2021 Fundraising Week Winners are:
- Scott Savett with $2,870
- Jennifer Archie with $13,550
- Team G with $1,394
- Thermo Fisher Scientific with $3,255
- Team Archie with $14,295
- Mt. Vernon Trail Blazers with $9,519
Meals & Support
Meals and Food
Food at the Saturday start line of the ride will be limited. Water, sports drinks, breakfast bars and bananas will be available. Please arrive with a full stomach, full water bottles and be ready to get on the road!
At the rest stops enjoy snacks such as chips, energy bars or gel, fruit and more. We recommend cyclists bring their own water bottles to refill at the stops.
Lunch will be provided for all cyclists at the LuLu Ross Elementary School rest stop from Capriotti’s Sandwich Shop on both Saturday and Sunday. See additional information regarding rest stop support listed below.
At the Saturday finish line at Delaware Seashore State Park a variety of food and drinks will be available to cyclists including pulled pork sandwiches & veggie burgers.
What better way to cap off your ride than pulling into the finish line and enjoying an ice-cold beer? Our Bike to the Bay beer garden is back, sponsored this year by Left Hand Brewing Company. Top fundraisers will receive 1 free beer ticket, on us! Please note there is a 3 beer limit per person.
Reach Top Fundraiser status by ride weekend and receive extra ride day and finish line perks, including an enhanced meal at the finish line!
Enjoy a continental breakfast on Sunday at Delaware Seashore State Park from 6:00 to 7:30 am for all cyclists riding back to Dover. If you wish to depart from your hotel instead, you can grab breakfast at the first rest stop on the route. Reminder: all cyclists must be on the road by 8 a.m.
At the Sunday finish line at Del Tech enjoy a catered meal from Javelin catering before wrapping up your ride weekend!
Rest Stops: First Class Support
Our route offers rest stops approximately every 12-15 miles featuring:
- Fun festivities and smiling faces
- Food, food, food! Including drinks, snacks, and lunch
- First aid stations
- Mechanical support from Trek
Confirmed rest stops for ride weekend:
- Polytech Campus (Woodside, DE)
- Lake Forest High School (Felton, DE)
- Lulu Ross Elementary School (Milford, DE)
- Ellendale Electric (Ellendale, DE)
- Sussex Consortium (Lewes, DE)
- Wolfe House, Cape Henlopen State Park (Lewes, DE)
**Only authorized Bike MS vehicles and cyclists are permitted access to the rest stops ride weekend. All other vehicular traffic is prohibited.
We make every effort to ensure you won’t get lost. The route will be clearly marked with orange direction signs, including on straightaways, so you will know you're riding in the right direction.
Medical Support & Emergency Assistance
Emergency medical support travels the entire route in the event that a cyclist may be injured. Help us provide top-notch first aid by completing the back of your rider number. In addition, an emergency number will be printed on the wristband you’ll receive with your packet. Use this number during the ride if you spot an accident. First aid stations will also be available.
Support and Gear (SAG) Vehicles
Just can’t push another pedal, or just need a ride to the next stop? These van & truck duos rove the route and rest stops.
Flip your bike upside down and look for the first SAG wagon to come your way. Give the thumbs-down signal if you want to be picked up. You and your bike will be transported.
NOTE: The trip into the finish line is not always direct. Be patient as we pick up other cyclists in need. If you only want a ride to the next rest stop, let the driver know. Always remember to thank your driver, who is volunteering his or her time for the weekend to support you.
Personal SAG Vehicles PROHIBITED. Personal SAG vehicles are not permitted on the route. Please understand our need to cut down on vehicular traffic for YOUR SAFETY.
No trailers, tagalongs or child carriers are allowed on the route per the Society’s Youth Riders policy.
Police & Communities Who Welcome Us
Please be respectful of the communities that support and welcome Bike MS! Their hospitality makes this event possible. Every effort is made to keep you safe. Where possible, local law enforcement agencies have been recruited to help you travel safely through intersections and on shared roadways.
Be courteous, as they help you travel safely through their communities.
Bike MS is an extraordinary ride no matter where you are! Whether you have a flat tire or need a snack to help get you across the finish line, we’ve got you covered…
Each route includes fully-stocked rest stops every 10 to 12 miles with some of the best snacks and volunteers around. Relax, hydrate, use the restroom, re-apply sunscreen and enjoy the volunteers. Bike mechanics and support and gear (SAG) vehicles will also be on the route to assist you.
After the ride, we will have plenty of food at the finish line.
Lodging & Transportation
Turn your Bike to the Bay ride into a fun weekend at the Delaware shore! Below is a list of hotels in the area to choose from. Select your favorite from this list and book your accommodations accordingly. Shuttle and luggage delivery service will be provided for all hotels listed below.
- The Breakers Hotel: Mention Bike to the Bay ($170 - $215/room) 72-hour cancellation policy. 2-night minimum waived.
- Econo Lodge: Mention Bike to the Bay ($95/room) 72-hour cancellation policy. 2-night minimum waived.
- The Dunes Rehoboth Beach: 72-hour cancellation policy.
- Atlantic Sands: 72-hour cancellation policy. 2-night minimum stay.
- Bell Buoy Inn: 72-hour cancellation policy. 2-night minimum stay.
- Sea Esta I: 72-hour cancellation policy. 2-night minimum stay.
- Best Western Gold Leaf Hotel: 72-hour cancellation policy. 3-night minimum stay.
- Henlopen Hotel: 3-day cancellation policy. 2-night minimum stay.
- Holiday Inn Express: 5-day cancellation policy. No minimum stay.
- Surf Club Oceanfront Hotel: 7-day cancellation policy. 2-night minimum stay.
- Atlantic Oceanside: 7-day cancellation policy. 2-night minimum stay.
- Beach Boutique: 7-day cancellation policy. No minimum stay.
- Crosswinds Motel: 7-day cancellation policy. No minimum stay.
- Rodeway Inn & Suites: No cancellations, changes, or refunds. No minimum stay.
Luggage Transportation and Delivery Service:
Whichever route you choose, we will transport your luggage for you! Depending on the ride you select, we will either deliver your luggage to the finish line or to any of the hotels listed above.
- Hotel delivery service is available for riders starting at the DelTech Campus for the 75 or 100 mile rides (only applicable to the list of hotels above).
- Riders starting from the 50 or 20 mile starts, your luggage will be delivered to the Saturday finish line.
Prior to loading your luggage onto the truck Saturday morning, attach the appropriate color yarn to your bag, letting us know where you would like it delivered.
We will also assist with luggage transportation on Sunday!
- For participants riding back on Sunday, drop your luggage in the hotel lobby (or designated area) by 8 a.m. Luggage trucks will stop at each of these hotels to pick up your luggage.
- If you are not staying at one of the hotels and riding back on Sunday, a luggage truck will also be available until 8 a.m. at the Sunday Start Line to transport luggage back to Dover/DelTech Terry Campus.
All luggage will be delivered to Dover/DelTech Terry Campus and available for pick up at approximately 1 p.m. (weather permitting).
Hotel Shuttles: Shuttle service is provided free of charge for cyclists on Saturday until 7 p.m. and Sunday from 6-8 a.m. Shuttle travel to and from the finish line to all hotels listed on the Bike to the Bay website.
- Saturday: You may leave your bike in overnight bike parking and take the shuttle directly to the hotel (bikes are not permitted on this shuttle).
Transportation Back to Start:
Return transportation to start locations is provided for cyclists, luggage and bicycles on Saturday at 2:00 pm and 6:00pm. Transportation will be provided to the DelTech Campus start ONLY on Sunday at 8:00am sharp. Please sign up for the Sunday shuttle on Saturday at the General Information & Housing tent. Please note that no shuttles will be provided to the 20-mile or 50-mile start locations on Sunday.
Photos & Post Ride Reminders
Thank you so much for a great weekend! Ensure your weeks following the ride are just as amazing and successful, help us reach our fundraising goal and set your sites on earning some great prizes.
FROM THE WEEKEND
- Ride Weekend Photos
Check out all the ride weekend photos on our Flickr page here. Don’t forget to share and post your photos on social media and with your donors. Tag us #BikeMS #DontJustRide #BiketotheBayDE
- TOP FUNDRAISER JERSEYS & T-SHIRTS
If you’re missing your Top Fundraiser jersey ($1k+ in fundraising) or your ride weekend t-shirt, please reach out to Sarah DeLucas for help.
REACH THE ULTIMATE FINISH LINE
We may have finished riding, but the real finish line is still ahead. We are currently SO close to reaching the ultimate finish line, raising $450,000 for MS. Help us get there by December 8th!
Utilize these post ride fundraising tips to achieve your fundraising goals, earn your 2021 Top Fundraiser jersey, reach the next prize level and secure your ranking in the 2022 Top 25 Club.
- Turn in additional donations and submit matching gifts
- Make a donation online through your fundraising portal
- Electronically submit checks through the Bike MS App or mail to Bike to the Bay 2021, 30 South 17th Street, Suite 800, Philadelphia, PA 19103.
- Visit the Donations Guide page for more information and to search for an Employer’s Matching Gift Program
- Share, Share Share!
Maximize social medial, make personal asks, and share weekend photos – it’s a great conversation starter!
- Your ride weekend experience with current and potential donors, thanking those who have donated and reminding potential donors there is still time!
- Your fundraising goal and status. Remind people there is still time, what you want to achieve and why.
- Your impact. Together, we’ve achieved more breakthroughs for MS than the world has seen for any other neurological disease. The National MS Society has invested in early research that has led to the discovery of every effective treatment for MS, including the first therapies for primary progressive and pediatric MS. Watch this video to learn more.
- Set your sites on earning some awesome Bike MS gear.
- You have until November 8th to earn your 2021 Bike to the Bay Top Fundraiser jersey and other great prizes.
- Visit the Clubs & Incentives page for more details.
- Check out the Fundraising Toolkit and other great Fundraising Ideas