About Climb to the Top MS
How it Works
Climb to the Top: Coast to Coast is back with new ways to climb, connect and challenge yourself like never before.
Through weekly Trifecta Training Challenges leading up to event day, you’ll climb the equivalent of each of the iconic buildings in the Climb to the Top series and earn exclusive badges along the way.
On event day, we’ll motivate you with a kickoff video before you set out to tackle 75 vertical flights to your own personal summit in celebration of the Society’s 75 years of progress toward a cure for MS. Take on the stairs in your apartment, a steep hiking trail or the stair climber at your gym—this is your personal summit so think big and steep! Get those thighs burning!
Once you’ve reached your goal, we’ll send you a full immersive experience with views from the top of summits fellow Climb to the Top participants have reached coast to coast. Plus, you’ll earn an exclusive finisher badge to share with your networks along with your photos using #climbMS.
You Need the App!
The only way to participate in the Trifecta Training Challenge and on event day is through the app. So, download it now and you’ll be ready to go! The app keeps track of how far you’ve climbed (or walked— remember, we’re on the honor system here!) and gives you badges for completing each challenge* and your epic 75 vertical flight personal summit on event day. Plus, we have an awesome photo booth in there you can start using right away!
*activity tracking and challenges kick off in late August
- Register and raise at least $1 by July 18 to earn a Climb to the Top notebook and pen.
- Raise $250 to earn an event T-shirt and medal (can qualify through October 31, 2021).
- Reach this amount by September 1 to have these items sent to you before the event. Post those selfies in style.
- Raise $300 by August 22 to earn a Climb to the Top baseball hat.
- Raise $1,000 to earn a Top Fundraiser long-sleeved tech shirt (can qualify through October 31, 2021).
Training & Prep
- We wouldn’t ask you to climb the equivalent of 75 flights of stairs (2,021 steps!) if we weren’t prepared to help you do it! Participants should know that climbing 75 flights is equivalent to running a 5k (3.1 miles). However, it should take less time to climb the stairs than it would to complete a 5k. Experienced athletes who’ve completed a 5k should be able to complete the climb without extensive climbing practice.
- Before you start any type of training for Climb, be sure you are well hydrated, are wearing good running shoes, and that you have adequately warmed up and stretched.
- The most efficient way to train for a climb is to run/walk actual stairs. Take the stairs to your office instead of the elevator. Ask your apartment building for permission to use the stairwell to train or to do climb repetitions on several shorter flights of stairs. If the gym is your only option, rotate your workouts between the treadmill and the stair climber.
- Everyone is different, so try a few different workout options and see what works best for you. Make sure you pace yourself the first time out; stair climbing uses different muscles than running and you might find yourself extremely sore the next day if you don’t ease yourself into training!
- Try climbing 8-12 flights of stairs, two steps at a time at full speed then rest/walk for 3-4 minutes (during your rest time be sure to keep moving). Depending on your athletic ability do this for 4-10 sets. Once you’ve completed your sets, be sure to cool down for 10 minutes and stretch for an additional 10 minutes.
- Always consult a physician before participating in strenuous exercise. If you become short of breath or are fatigued during training, stop and rest.
Thank You to Our Sponsors
By investing in Climb to the Top MS our corporate sponsors proudly demonstrate their commitment to the local community and to people affected by MS. Supporting Climb to the Top inspires employees, increases corporate visibility, and allows companies to have a direct impact on the communities that they work and live in.
Our corporate sponsors are changing the world for people affected by MS. By supporting Climb to the Top MS through cash or in-kind donations, corporate sponsors allow us to direct more dollars to help all individuals affected by MS.