November 4-6, 2022
3 Days, 50 Miles
San Diego Hilton Del Mar
15575 Jimmy Durante Blvd, Del Mar, CA 92014
Walk starts at: 8 am
Pre-Challenge Walk MS Events
July 1 – July 31, 2022
Challenge Walk MS is more fun with a friend, invite others to start training with you. Get a friend to register by Sunday, July 31 and you’ll both win a fanny pack!
Virtual August Know Before You Go
Thursday, October 6 at 6 p.m. PT
Join us to go over walk weekend details, weekend guide, what to pack and answering any questions that you may have! This Virtual Meeting will be especially helpful to first-time Challenge Walk attendees and will be a refresher of info for returning attendees.
The meeting will be recorded and information distributed if you are unable to attend.
Thursday Night Check-In and Welcome Party
Thursday, November 3 from 4 – 7 p.m. PT
Walker, Crew, and Super Crew Check-in and Packet Pick Up
- Packet Pick Up taking place in the Foyer outside the Del Mar Ballroom
- Grab your Challenge Walk MS credentials for the event weekend
- Join us in the Garden Terrace of the Hilton San Diego Del Mar for light appetizers. Cash bar also available. Take this time to meet with old friends and get to know new ones!
August 6, 2022
Win a training-wicking t-shirt by hitting $1,500 in fundraising by August 6!
September 5 – September 11, 2022
- Challenge: Person with the most money raised and person with the most number of gifts
- Prize: Win a free night of housing for Thursday night before the event. (1 room for most money raised and 1 room for most number of gifts)
October 3 – October 9
- Individual challenge: The individual with the most number of gifts will win a special gift card or treat for food along the route.
- Team Challenge: Top teams with the most money raised (up to 5 winners) will win reserved seating for Friday and Saturday night programs.
Packet Pick Up
Packet Pick Up is the time when Challenge Walk MS participants will receive all the necessary items needed for the event. This includes picking up your Name Badge which is your entry into all Challenge Walk MS events. Also included in your Packet is a turn-by-turn guide of the route, a weekend guide and schedule of events, “I Walk For” bib to highlight why you participate, and luggage tags for anything you’d like to bring with you on the Challenge Walk route.
Challenge Walk participants will have two dates and times available for packet pickup:
Thursday, November 3
- 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- Hilton San Diego Del Mar: 15575 Jimmy Durante Blvd, Del Mar, CA 92014
- Walkers may check-in for Challenge Walk MS at our host hotel, Hilton San Diego Del Mar in the lobby.
Friday, November 4
- 7:15 am – 7:45 am
- Army and Navy Academy: 2605 Carlsbad Blvd, Carlsbad, CA 92008
- Last minute Walker check-in at start line.
Please note these details are subject to change and will be confirmed and finalized in the month before the event.
- Schedule of Events
Choose Your Challenge this year. Walk portions of the route and choose the days you want to walk. Whether you walk one mile or fifty miles, the choice is yours. Routes may change slightly each year due to permitting, other events that may be taking place and disrupt Challenge Walkers, or construction.
- Day 1 | Carlsbad, CA to Del Mar, CA – Day 1 2022 Route Here
- Day 2 | Del Mar, CA to Mission Bay area in San Diego, CA | Day 2 2022 Route Here
- Day 3 | Loop around Coronado Island | Day 3 2022 Route Here
- Note – Day 3 Start and Finish Line is the same location. Because of this, many participants opt to drive themselves to the Start/Finish Line to depart at their own leisure. Family and friends are invited to Finish Line Festivities, and many participants choose to leave from Finish Line with family and friends as well.
Click here to view turn-by-turn walking directions of the 2022 route
The Challenge Walk MS: Southern California route walks along the Pacific Ocean and through many beach towns such as Oceanside, Carlsbad, Leucadia, Encinitas, Solana Beach, Del Mar, La Jolla, Pacific Beach, and Coronado Island.
We aim to make the route as accessible as possible with paved sidewalks and pavement. The biggest hill of Challenge Walk MS: Southern California, takes place on Day 2, walking up Torrey Pines Hill (about 400 feet above sea level). For any participants that do not want to walk Torrey Pines Hill, we offer a shuttle to the rest stop at the top of the hill.
Challenge Walk MS is a fully supported event with your safety as our number one priority! Support and Gear (SAG) vehicles patrol the route to show support and ensure your safety. SAGs give rides – be it the finish line or a rest stop – as needed and requested.
Meals & Rest Stops
Rest stops are located every 1.5-3 miles along the route to help you recharge and refuel. Relax, hydrate, grab a bite to eat, and connect with volunteers and fellow walkers. There will also be medical support at most rest stops.
Lodging and Transportation
We are excited to announce the Hilton San Diego Del Mar will serve as the 2022 Challenge Walk MS: Southern California host hotel!
Hotel Address: 15575 Jimmy Durante Blvd, Del Mar, CA 92014
As our way of saying thank you for your support in the fight against MS, all participants who reach their fundraising minimum of $2,500 (or $1,500 for youth Challenge Walk participants) will receive free housing on Friday and Saturday night for the weekend, based on double occupancy rooms!
All reservations will be made through the National MS Society. Participants will be sent a housing survey email approximately three months prior to event weekend. All participants are required to fill out the survey and indicate roommate and room type preferences, dietary restrictions, accessibility needs, and other event-related information.
After receiving your housing survey, the National MS Society staff will reserve a room on your behalf and send you a confirmation email in the month before event weekend.
Participants are responsible for any additional hotel night accommodations, taxes, parking, or paying the difference if they prefer a private room. Nightly rates at $160++/night per room (subject to change) if wanting to stay additional nights. If a participant is paying the difference for a private room for two nights, that is typically charged as an additional night at the hotel of $160++ total (or $80++ per night for private accommodations).
We hope you will join us at the Hilton San Diego Del Mar for what is sure to be an amazing weekend!
The Housing Survey for 2022 will be sent via email on August 11. If you need to fill out the Housing Survey to be placed in a room for Challenge Walk weekend, please use this link to access the survey. Hotel confirmations will be sent to you directly from the National MS Society staff.
Questions about the Housing Survey can be directed to Danielle Gerlach at Danielle.Gerlach@nmss.org.
All event related transportation is provided once you make it to the host hotel for the weekend. This includes:
- Shuttle to the start line on day one
- Shuttle back to the hotel from the finish line on day two
- Shuttle to the start line on day three
- SAG (Support and Gear) Vehicles and shuttles available to transport participants to rest stops or back to the hotel from the route or lunch stops
- Note – Day 3 Start and Finish Line is the same location. Because of this, some participants opt to drive themselves to the Start/Finish Line to depart at their own leisure. Family and friends are invited to Finish Line Festivities, and many participants choose to leave from Finish Line with family and friends as well.
- Shuttle is offered at the end of day three/end of Challenge Walk event back to the hotel but is an additional fee.
Parking is available at the host hotel, Hilton San Diego Del Mar, throughout event weekend at a discounted rate if you are staying at the hotel under the National MS Society reservation.